311 & 249
365 & 137
Durham win by 58 runs
Durham v Glamorgan


Glamorgan, chasing a target of 191 were dismissed by Durham for 137 shortly after lunch on the final day of their LV=Insurance County Championship match at Chester-le-Street with the home side winning by 58 runs.

Day 1
Close of Play Report
Ben Stokes completed his fifty immediately after tea, having faced 74 balls but Michael Neser returned at the Finchael End and removed Ned Eckersley l.b.w. as Durham lost their sixth wicket on 226. Ben Raine joined Stokes with the pair having a mix-up in calling that nearly saw Stokes run out at the bowler’s end. Raine atoned by guiding Andy Gorvin for four through extra-cover before on-driving Andrew Salter.

Stokes greeted the return of Labuschagne in spin mode by lofting him for two huge sixes and a four to mid-wicket before Raine clubbed Salter to long-on for four as well as extra-cover. Stokes also reverse-swept Labuschagne for four before Salter ended Raine’s merry spree by bowling him as Durham reached 287-7.

The new ball was taken after 80 overs with the Riverside floodlights also coming on as Hogan returned to the fray and with his second delivery found the edge of Stokes’ innings as he feathered a catch into Cooke’s gloves. Two balls later it became 290-9 as Potts departed l.b.w. to Hogan before Brydon Carse and Chris Rushworth used the long handle to garner another batting point, before Hogan ended the innings as Carse edged into Cooke’s gloves with Durham ending on 311 – with their total not including any extras. Ironically, the first delivery of Glamorgan’s innings from Rushworh saw a leg-bye off a no-ball!

Glamorgan had nine overs to face with Salter steering Potts for four, but next ball, Salter edged a rising delivery to backward point where Dickson completed the catch. 8/1 saw Gorvin arrive in the middle as night-watchman but he soon returned to the pavilion as he was adjudged l.b.w. to his second delivery as Potts struck again. Labuschagne began with a couple of flamboyant leaves before flicking Potts to fine-leg and the ropes at mid-wicket. Lloyd also square-cut Rushworth for four before Labuschagne pulled Potts for four as Glamorgan ended on 31-2.
Teatime Update
Durham resumed on 94-2 after lunch as Andy Gorvin and Michael Hogan returned to the attack. The latter struck with his first delivery as Scott Borthwick miscued a drive to Kiran Carlson at mid-on. His departure saw David Bedingham join Keegan Petersen and he began by on-driving Hogan for three. Petersen also did the same to Gorvin before cover-driving Hogan as he completed an 89-ball fifty. Bedingham also cover drove Gorvin for four but the all-rounder was rewarded for his accuracy as later in the over he trapped Bedingham l.b.w.
130-4 heralded the arrival of Ben Stokes with the England captain quietly playing himself in with a series of singles. Petersen top-edged Neser for four when the Australian returned at the Finchael End before completing a more controlled pull to square-leg a few overs later. After his quiet reconnaissance, Stokes unleased a pair of rasping cover drives against van der Gugten and Lloyd with the latter also being elegantly driven through extra-cover by Petersen.
But van der Gugten then had a reoccurrence of his hamstring injury in his tenth over with Marnus Labuschagne, in seam-up mode, completing the over. The Australian remained in the action next over as Petersen edged Lloyd to him at first slip as Durham lost their fifth wicket on 172. Having been joined by Ned Eckersley, Stokes thick-edged Labuschagne to third man before straight-driving Lloyd with a blow that nearly decapitated his partner who dived to the ground to avoid being struck.
Having been felled amidships by Labuschagne, Stokes responded by cheekily upper-cutting him over the slip cordon. Hogan then returned shortly before tea and was twice cover-driven for four by Eckersley before Labuschagne switched to spin mode prior to the interval.
Lunchtime Report
Glamorgan made two changes to their line-up from the team that defeated Leicestershire at Cardiff on Sunday – a victory which has catapulted the Welsh county into second place in the Division Two table – with Timm van der Gugten and Billy Root replacing the two James’ – Messrs. Weighell and Harris. With a green-tinged surface, David Lloyd had no hesitation in opting to bowl first with the two Michael’s – Messrs. Neser and Hogan – sharing the new ball as Alex Lees and Sean Dickson began Durham’s first innings. Lees struck the day’s first boundary as he on-drove Hogan in the sixth over.

Three overs later, and with the total on 15, Neser claimed the first wicket as Dickson edged to Sam Northeast at second slip. Keegan Petersen got off the mark with two to fine-leg before benefitting from four overthrows as he clipped Hogan to Neser at fine-leg whose throw at the stumps at the bowler’s end sped away to the ropes.

Andy Gorvin and van der Gugten then bowled in tandem and initially kept the home batters in check, with the second boundary of the day not coming until the 19th over as Lees drove Gorvin to the ropes at mid-wicket. Two overs later, Lees drilled Gorvin through the covers for another boundary before Petersen flicked van der Gugten to the ropes at square-leg. Lees then on-drove Gorvin for four before Neser returned for a second spell at the Lumley End whilst Lloyd had a trundle at the Finchael End.

His first delivery was straight driven for four before the visiting captain found the inside edge of Lees’ bat as he chopped the ball onto his stumps. 77-2 saw the arrival of Scott Borthwick who began with a fierce square-cut for four against Lloyd.


Day 2

Close of Play Report
Glamorgan were just six runs in arrears when play resumed after tea with Ben Stokes being clipped for four to fine-leg by Timm van der Gugten who then took the Welsh county into the lead by on-driving Rushworth and also flicking him to the boards at fine-leg. Root then swatted Stokes for four to third man before van der Gugten, despite his limited mobility, swatted successive balls from Stokes to the ropes at mid-wicket.
Durham then took the new ball with Glamorgan on 339-8 but Root and the ninth wicket pair remained unflustered, with Labuschagne also relishing his time as the Dutchman’s runner as together with Root he scampered a series of one’s and two’s. But on 88 Root edged a ball from Raine into Borthwick’s hands at second slip with the Yorkshireman having added 83 in 20.1 overs with van der Gugten.
Michael Hogan had a life as Raine failed to cling onto a ball driven back to him, with the evergreen seamer celebrating by driving the next ball to long-on for four. But Raine had the last laugh as he then clean bowled Hogan as Glamorgan ended on 365 with the last three wickets having added 202 runs in 50.4 overs.
There were fourteen overs remaining as Durham began their second innings 54 runs in arrears, with Alex Lees and Sean Dickson facing the two Michael’s – Neser and Hogan. Dickson began with a pair of booming cover drives for four against Hogan as well as an off-drive with the total on 26, Dickson departed leg before to Hogan. Having been joined by Keegan Petersen, Lees clipped Neser for four to mid-wicket.
But in the penultimate over of the day Neser sent Petersen’s middle stump cartwheeling out of the ground as Durham slipped to 37-2 with Potts arriving as night-watchman

Teatime Update
Kiran Carlson was unbeaten on 53 with his team on 156-5 when play resumed after lunch but he was bowled by the first delivery of the session from Matty Potts. Billy Root clipped his first ball to fine-leg but next over Potts made further inroads as Chris Cooke was caught down the leg-side by Ned Eckersley as Glamorgan slipped to 163-7.
Potts nearly claimed another victim in his next over but an outside edge from Michael Neser’s bat just dropped short of second slip. Root then cover drove Potts before outside-edging Brydon Carse through the gully, with Neser also flicking Carse to fine-leg for a pair of fours before straight-driving him for a further boundary. Root greeted the return of Potts at the Lumley End by clipping him through mid-wicket for four to bring up the 50-stand. Neser celebrated by biffing Rushworth through extra-cover as the eighth wicket pair continued to chisel away at the deficit.
Neser also pulled Rushworth for four before crisply on-driving Scott Borthwick when the leg-spinner entered the attack at the Lumley End. He then completed his maiden Championship fifty by straight-driving Borthwick – his 71st delivery – before deftly late-cutting him for his tenth boundary with the century stand coming up in the next over from 135 balls as Root flicked Stokes for a single.
With the floodlights also coming on, the Celtic revival continued as Root watchfully dabbed the ball around before cover-driving Raine for four as their efforts became the best for the Welsh county for the eighth wicket beating the unbeaten stand of 108 between Darren Thomas and Alex Wharf at Sophia Gardens in 2004.
But with the total on 276 their doughty efforts ended as Neser was trapped l.b.w. by a full length delivery from Raine. Timm van der Gugten duly appeared with Labuschagne as his runner before Root straight-drove Raine to complete his patient fifty from 86 balls. He then clipped the all-rounder to the mid-wicket ropes before a firm on-drive by van der Gugten against Carse clinched a third batting point shortly before tea.

Lunchtime Report
“Durham – No Ordinary County”. So proclaim the advertising banners dotted around the attractive cathedral city and seat of learning a few miles away from the Emirates Riverside where yesterday, a cricketing example of this slogan occurred as the home team’s innings of 311 did not contain a single extra, reflecting the accuracy and parsimonious nature of the Glamorgan attack. It was therefore with great irony that the first delivery of the visitor’s innings saw a leg-bye off a no-ball, before Glamorgan ended this unusual day on 31-2.
Matty Potts and Chris Rushworth resumed the bowling with the latter removing David Lloyd with his opening delivery as the visiting captain edged a rising delivery to his counterpart Scott Borthwick at second slip. Sam Northeast joined Marnus Labuschagne and nonchalantly clipped his first ball to the ropes at mid-wicket before two overs later clipping Rushworth to square-leg.
Northeast also nurdled Potts to third man before driving him to the ropes at long-off. Brydon Carse and Ben Raine then had a spell in tandem during which Labuschagne, who had only scored a single during three-quarters of an hour this morning, departed l.b.w. to Raine. 63-4 saw the arrival of Kiran Carlson who began by flicking Raine to fine-leg before punching Carse through backward point.
Carlson also square-cut Raine for four before Northeast greeted the return of Rushworth by off-driving the veteran for three successive fours prior to completing his fifty from 64 balls. It was Northeast’s third half-century in his last four innings but, next over, he feathered a ball from Rushworth into Eckersley’s gloves as Glamorgan slipped to 110-5.
Carlson greeted the introduction of Ben Stokes into the attack by cutting him to third man and then deftly nudging him to fine-leg. He also punched Rushworth off the back-foot for four through extra-cover before twice doing the same to Stokes as he completed his breezy half-century from 42 balls shortly before lunch.



Day 3

Close of Play Report
Durham were 223-7 at tea after 78 overs, with the new ball two overs away and Glamorgan eager to polish off their resistance. However, the prized wicket of Ben Stokes came with Labuschagne’s first delivery of the session as he had him smartly stumped by Chris Cooke as he lunged forward at the wrist spinner. Immediately afterwards, Neser and Hogan duly returned to the attack as Ben Raine and Brydon Carse briefly used the long handle until the former swatted a short ball from Neser into Cooke’s gloves. 242-9 then became 244 all out as Rushworth lofted Neser to deep extra cover where Andy Gorvin held a fine running catch.
The net result was that Glamorgan needed 191 to win in the 21 overs remaining tonight, plus 96 tomorrow. With David Lloyd still unwell, Andy Gorvin opened with Andrew Salter and survived a sharp chance in the slips against Rushworth. Gorvin responded by drilling Rushworth through mid-off for four but next over he edged Potts into Eckersley’s gloves.
Having been joined by Labuschagne, Salter drove Rushworth through backward point for four but it became 15/2 as salter top-edged a hook against Potts into Rushworth’s hands at deep fine-leg. Having been joined by Sam Northeast, Labuschagne greeted the introduction of Carse into the attack by striking him for three fours in four deliveries – to long-off, mid-wicket and extra-cover - before Northeast punched Rushworth off the back foot through extra-cover for four.
Labuschagne then saw Glamorgan to the 50-mark by cover-driving Potts prior to repeating the stroke against Ben Raine, with Northeast also square-driving Potts , but to the penultimate ball of the day, Labuschagne edged a catch to Eckersley as he tried to hook Raine as Glamorgan ended on 65-3.

Teatime Update
Durham resumed after lunch on 140-3 with Michael Hogan bowling at the Lumley End and Andrew Salter at the Finchael End. Scott Borthwick twice cover-drove Hogan before Alex Lees swept Salter en route to a patient fifty from 154 balls. Borthwick then greeted the return of Andy Gorvin by nurdling him for four before Lees nearly ran himself out attempting a quick single. He celebrated his good fortune by on-driving Gorvin for four before Borthwick pulled a long-hop from Salter to the ropes at mid-wicket.
Labuschagne also returned at the Lumley End and swiftly ended Lees’ vigil at the wicket as the opener was l.b.w. attempting to pull the jubilant Australian. The arrival of David Bedingham at the crease also heralded the return of Neser with the new batter surviving a loud appeal for a catch. But with the total on 188 Labuschagne struck again as he bowled Borthwick who missed a full toss before two runs later Neser bowled Bedingham.
Ben Stokes was joined by Ned Eckersley with the England captain reverse-sweeping Labuschagne for four as well as Salter when the off-spinner returned at the Finchael End. But Stokes then top-edged a repeat of the stroke with Neser running back from slip just failing to cling onto the ball. However, Salter was not to be deprived of another wicket as, with the total on 216, Eckersley drove him into Hogan’s hands at mid-off.

Lunchtime update
The omens on Friday the Thirteenth did not look good at first for Glamorgan as they slumped to 163-7 before their fortunes improved as their last three wickets added 202 with Michael Neser and Billy Root each making defiant half-centuries as the post-lunch session turned into something of a nightmare for the home side as Glamorgan garnered a first innings lead of 54 runs. Matters did not improve in the final hour as Durham lost a couple of early wickets before ending the day on 39-2.
Messrs Hogan and Neser resumed the bowling to Matty Potts and Alex Lees, with the former departing l.b.w. to Hogan in the third over of the day. Scott Borthwick replaced the night-watchman and flicked Hogan to fine-leg for four before cover-driving the veteran as the arrears were written off. Andy Gorvin then had a spell at the Lumley End, and with both Timm van der Gugten and David Lloyd hors de combat, Andrew Salter entered the fray at the Finchael End.
Borthwick cover-drove Gorvin twice for four as Lees continued to accumulate chiefly in singles with Marnus Labuschagne then having a spell at the Lumley End with Borthwick pulling him for four prior to Lees bringing up the hundred with a deft late cut for four. Neser duly returned and was also cover-driven by Borthwick who completed his fifty from 67 balls by pulling the Australian for four.
Lees also pulled Neser for four before Gorvin had a second spell at the Lumley End shortly before lunch. In the final over of the morning, Lees also survived a sharp catch at slip as he edged a drive against Salter.



Day 4

Close of Play Report
Glamorgan were 125-8 at lunch, still needing a further 66 to record their first Championship win on Durham soil since 2004 as Michael Neser and Timm van der Gugten resumed against Matty Potts and Ben Raine, with the Riverside floodlights also coming on. Neser flicked Raine to square-leg for four before cover-driving Potts for another crisply-timed boundary, but to the fourth ball of the next over Neser was trapped l.b.w. by Potts , with Durham also being credited with five penalty runs for a second Level One offence by Glamorgan. Next ball, Hogan was bowled by Potts as the match ended with Durham winning by 58 runs and Matty Potts ending with 7-40.

Lunchtime Update
An intrepid punter at the Riverside yesterday placed a wager on Liverpool winning the FA Cup Final, Ukraine the Eurovision Song Contest and Glamorgan being victorious in this intriguing four-day game. His Geordie friend did a similar combination but with Durham winning the Championship match, so both were confident this morning after the success of their first two legs yesterday, and a day at Chester-le-Street which had ended with Marnus Labuschagne’s dismissal to the final ball, leaving the Welsh county on 65-3 and seeking a further 126 runs, whilst Durham required another seven wickets.
Kiran Carlson joined Sam Northeast as Ben Raine completed the over from last night with Matty Potts resuming at the Finchael End. With his fifth delivery of the day, the England aspirant produced a sharply rising delivery which Carlson feathered into Ned Eckersley’s gloves as Glamorgan lost their fourth wicket on 70. Having been joined by Chris Cooke, the unflustered Northeast continued to work the ball around before driving Potts through the covers for four. But the bowler gained revenge in his next over as Northeast edged into the slips where Scott Borthwick resembled a circus juggler as he caught the ball at the fourth attempt.
83-5 saw Billy Root make his way to the middle with 108 runs still required and together with Cooke, he undertook some quiet reconnaissance with a series of one’s and two’s. Root then pulled Ben Carse for four to bring up the hundred, but two balls later, he repeated the stroke but feathered a catch to Eckersley. 103-6 saw David Lloyd, who was feeling better this morning, join Cooke with the latter greeting the return of Potts to the attack by driving him through the covers. But later in the over, the bowler trapped Lloyd leg before as Glamorgan slipped further to 107-7.
Michael Neser joined Cooke, with the pair working the ball around for one’s and two’s until Carse returned at the Finchael End shortly before lunch and found the edge of Cooke’s bat, before Timm van der Gugten returned to the crease, again with Labuschagne as his runner, and defiantly pulled the final ball of the session for four to mid-wicket.