494 & 141-5
376 & 258
Glamorgan win by 5 wickets
Glamorgan v Sussex:LVCC

Glamorgan beat Sussex by five wickets on the final day of their LV=Insurance County Championship match at Sophia Gardens, successfully chasing 141 from 39.1 overs after dismissing the visitors for 258.


Day 1

Close of Play Report

Sussex had reached 161-5 at tea and it immediately became 165-5 as Oli Carter cover drove James Weighell’s opening delivery. Delray Rawlins repeated the stroke soon afterwards but, with the parsimonious Salter continuing at the River End, the visitors were restricted to a series of singles at the River End.

With the new ball due after 80 overs, David Lloyd replaced Weighell at the Cathedral Road End. He found the edge of Carter’s bat but the ball bisected slip and gully and sped away to the vacant third man boundary. Rawlins then off-drove Salter for four – the first boundary he had conceded in 26 overs and only coming about after a misfield at mid-off. But with the total on 192, a smart piece of keeping down the leg-side by Cooke against Lloyd saw Rawlins being stumped as he over-balanced playing forward.

Seventeen year-old Archie Lenham replaced him and began with a pair of nurdles to third man for three and four as Sussex reached the 200-mark, and their first batting point after 80 overs. Neser and Hogan duly returned with the new ball, with the former bowling Lenham as the youngster attempted to shoulder arms to a rising delivery but ended up deflecting the ball onto his stumps.

Having received treatment during the fall of the wicket, Chris Cooke then left the field with a calf strain as Colin Ingram took over behind the stumps. Despite the delay, and being joined by Henry Crocombe, Carter remained unflappable and duly reached his maiden Championship hundred, from 208 balls, by on-driving Neser for four – his twelfth four. Salter and Weighell then returned to the attack, with Crocombe surviving a sharp chance as he edged the latter just out of the reach of the substitute keeper.

Afternoon Report

Sussex began the post-lunch session on 97-2 with Tom Clark and Oli Carter looking to further extend their third wicket partnership. Andrew Salter and James Weighell resumed the bowling duties with Clark cover-driving the latter for four, before Carter repeated the stroke later in the over. Clark then reached his fifty from 108 balls with another cover-drive against Weighell before Carter pulled the seamer to fine-leg to reach his maiden half-century from 92 balls.

Michael Neser returned to the fray as the pair completed their century stand, but next over Clark was deceived in the flight by Salter with the visiting batter miscuing a drive to Ingram at mid-on. Tim Seifert, the Kiwi wicket-keeper, began watchfully against the frugal Salter, but on 5 he was bowled by Hogan. 140-4 nearly became 140-5 as Dan Ibrahim spooned up a ball just in front of short mid-wicket, but the youngster departed five runs later as he feathered a catch down the leg-side against Salter to give Cooke another victim.

Delray Rawlins joined Carter as Colin Ingram entered the attack at the Cathedral Road End shortly before tea.

Lunchtime Report

After the razzamatazz of the first batch of Twenty20 games, plus the pomp and pageantry of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations, it was business as usual at Sophia Gardens this morning as Glamorgan welcomed Sussex to their headquarters in Cardiff. The Welsh county made three changes to their team which played in their most recent Championship encounter – against Durham - in the second week of May with Eddie Byrom replacing Andy Gorvin as the former Somerset batter made his red-ball bow this summer, Colin Ingram returned in place of Marnus Labuschagne who is now with the Australian squad in Sri Lanka, and James Weighell replacing the injured Timm van der Gugten.

It was nevertheless an all-action start after Glamorgan had opted to bowl first with Michael Neser’s opening delivery being clipped to mid-wicket by Tom Alsop who later in the over survived a chance at second slip after edging Neser to Sam Northeast. However, it was not an expensive miss as in Neser’s second over, the opener departed l.b.w. Tom Haines also swatted Hogan for four to third man before flicking Neser to square-leg.

Clark also straight-drove Hogan for four, but with the total on 29, Haines flayed at Weighell’s opening delivery and Chris Cooke completed a good catch diving low to his left in front of the slip cordon. Oli Carter began by flicking Weighell to the ropes at square-leg – a stroke repeated by Clarke next over - before Andrew Salter entered the attack in the 12th over. After a series singles, Clark flat-batted Weighell for four through the covers,

Carter greeted the introduction of Lloyd into the attack by cover-driving the home captain for four, before Clark clipped Lloyd to fine-leg for four. Carter also off-drove Lloyd for a pair of crisply-struck fours




Day 2

Close of Play Report

When play resumed after tea with Glamorgan on 159-1, Colin Ingram was seven runs short of his first Championship hundred for five years having made 155*against Nottinghamshire at Cardiff in May 2017. He duly began the session with a cover driven four against Archie Lenham before reaching three figures with a nurdled four to third man – his 19th boundary from his 143rd ball.

Byrom off-drove Brooks before Ingram guided the bandana-wearing seamer through point for another majestic boundary. Byrom greeted the return of Delray Rawlins to the attack by pulling and reverse-sweeping him for four as Glamorgan reached the 200-mark and their first batting point in the 52nd over.

Byrom also swatted a short ball from Crocombe for four to mid-wicket before again on-driving Rawlins to the ropes followed by another pull for four against Crocombe. Ingram then greeted the return of Sean Hunt by on-driving the left-armer before Byrom completed his maiden Championship hundred for Glamorgan from 178 balls by on-driving Hunt to the mid-wicket boards – his 18th four.

Ingram added another booming on-drive to his tally against Hunt before the pair saw their side to 250 and another batting point. They continued to quietly accumulate in the closing overs as Glamorgan ended the day on 258-1, with their partnership standing at *253 and in sight of the Club’s all-time second wicket record of 291 set by Marnus Labuschagne and Nick Selman, also against Sussex at Hove in 2019.


Teatime update

Colin Ingram was Eddie Byrom’s new partner when play resumed after lunch and the departure of David Lloyd to the final delivery of the morning session. He began with a booming cover drive for four against Jack Brooks followed by another sweetly-timed off-drive against the on-loan seamer as well as Sean Hunt, who he also pummelled to the ropes at long-on.

Byrom also found the ropes at extra-cover as he drove Brooks for four before Ingram struck successive balls from Brooks to the ropes at mid-off and cover. Byrom also on-drove Hunt as Glamorgan reached the 50-mark in the tenth over. Ingram then drilled offside fours off successive balls from Crocombe before pulling the next delivery to the mid-wicket boards.

Ingram then completed his fifty from as many balls by straight-driving Delray Rawlins for his 11th four, before Byrom drove Henry Crowcombe for four to mid-wicket and extra-cover. He then brought up the hundred by reverse-sweeping Rawlins for four prior to flicking Haines to the ropes at fine-leg. He then late-cut Haines for four en route to reaching fifty from 79 deliveries, before sweeping Rawlins for four.

Archie Lenham’s leg-spin was then introduced with the teenager being swept for four by Ingram who moved closer and closer before tea to three figures as he majestically on-drove Rawlins before cover-driving him to bring up the 150-run stand.

Morning update

Yesterday saw Glamorgan play host to a young and injury-stricken Sussex squad, with the visitors on the eve of the game having to bolster their team by securing the services of Jack Brooks, the veteran seamer, on loan from Somerset. After being put in, it looked like their woes were getting even worse as they lost two cheap wickets but Oli Carter, their 20 year-old batter dropped anchor and remained
resolute for five and a half hours to patiently compile his maiden Championship hundred.

This morning it was Glamorgan who were struck by injuries and illness with Tom Cullen behind the stumps as a substitute wicket-keeper in place of the injured Chris Cooke who damaged a calf and Andy Gorvin as a full replacement for Michael Hogan who tested positive for COVID as Sussex resumed on 245-7 from 96 overs. Neser resumed the bowling and was twice off-driven by Henry Crocombe who last night had unfurled some sweetly-timed drives. Carter also unleashed a couple of booming cover drives as Gorvin entered the attack, but it was the all-rounder who ended Crocombe’s merry spree as he miscued to extra-cover where Colin Ingram completed the regulation catch.

281-8 saw Brooks join Carter who four runs later survived a chance as he drove Weighell to mid-on where Neser could not quite hold onto the ball. He celebrated by on-driving Salter for a straight six as Sussex reached the 300-mark in the 109th over. Brooks used the long handle to swat Weighell for six to backward square-leg, followed by a rustic drive to long-on plus a pair of more orthodox cover drives, followed by a lofted off-drive against Salter.

Ingram’s leg-breaks were briefly employed with Carter pulling him for four en route to reaching 150 from 263 balls, with Neser then returning for another salvo. Carter responded by pulling him for four, but with the total on 353 Salter ended Brooks stay at the crease as he holed out Gorvin at deep mid-wicket. With Sean Hunt as his final partner, Carter hoisted Neser for six over cow corner before straight-driving Salter for six followed by another maximum over mid-wicket. However, he perished later in the over as Weighell took a smart catch at long-on.

Glamorgan had two overs to face before lunch but in the second LLoyd edged Hunt into Seifert's gloves.




Day 3

Close of Play Report

Facing a deficit of 118, Tom Haines and Tom Alsop faced the new ball pairing of Andy Gorvin and Michael Neser. Alsop flicked Gorvin to fine-leg and mid-wicket before Haines played successive balls from the all-rounder behind and in front of square on the off-side for further boundaries. Salter duly replaced him at the River End with the spinner making a breakthrough in his first over as Alsp miscued a drive to Kiran Carlson at short extra-cover.

29-1 saw Tom Clark make his way to the middle despite having been off the field after lunch to visit hospital for an X-ray on his wrist after being struck whilst fielding. Next over, Tom Cullen, the substitute keeper took a fine catch diving down the leg-side to pouch a glance by Tom Haines., as for the second time in the match Oli Carter arrived in the middle with the scoreboard reading 29-2. The first innings centurion nearly departed for a duck as he flicked Weighell just wide of the fielder stationed at leg-gully, before Clark cut Salter for four, followed by an on-driven four.

Clark then on-drove and pulled Weighell for a pair of fours before both Neser and Gorvin had a second salvo. The third wicket pair remained resolute as Ingram also had a brief foray shortly before the close, with the Springbok striking with the final ball of the day as he bowled Clark with the ball spinning back onto his stumps after playing a defensive stroke.

Afternoon Update

The morning session had ended with James Weighell hitting Archie Lenham for four and a six as Glamorgan took lunch on 361-5, still 15 runs in arrears, and with Eddie Byrom unbeaten on a career-best 153. Sean Hunt and Henry Crocombe continued the bowling duties with Byrom clipping the former to the ropes at fine-leg before Weighell cover-drove the latter. However, Hunt removed the latter as he rearranged his stumps as Michael Neser joined Byrom with the Welsh county still four runs in arrears.

An exquisite off-drive for four by Byrom against Crocombe took Glamorgan into the lead before Neser swatted Crocombe to mid-wicket for four and cover-drove the next delivery. Byrom also drilled Hunt through mid-on for four before Glamorgan secured another batting point in the 108th over as Byrom reverse-swept Lenham. But the teenage spinner gained revenge later in the over as the opener attempted to repeat the stroke but ended up spooning the ball to Tom Haines at backward point and departing for a career-best 176.

403-7 saw the arrival of Andrew Salter who opened his account by cover-driving Brooks for four before Neser opened his shoulders and plonked Lenham into the River Stand for six prior to a delicate sweep for four against the seventeen year-old. Neser also pulled Brooks for four but with the total on 443, he was stumped by Tim Seifert after jaywalking down the wicket to Tom Haines.

His departure saw the belated arrival of Chris Cooke, with Kiran Carlson as his runner and he showed no sign of discomfort as he harpooned a full toss from Delray Rawlins for six high over the boards at mid-wicket before elegantly straight-driving Haines for four, followed by a pull for four against Rawlins. Cooke also drove Lenham through extra-cover for another boundary before pulling Crocombe for four as the lead went into three figures.

Salter pulled Dan Ibrahim for six as the ninth wicket pair further extended the lead but with the total on 493, Cooke edged Crocombe into Seifert’s gloves. Dan Ibrahim then trapped Andy Gorvin l.b.w. as the Glamorgan innings ended on 494 shortly before tea.

Morning Update

No wickets fell after lunch yesterday as Colin Ingram and Eddie Byrom shared an unbroken second wicket stand of 253 and each scored centuries to take the Welsh county within 118 runs of the visitor’s total. Both batters unfurled some high-class strokes as they feasted on the inexperience of the visiting attack with their stand, at the start this morning, being 38 runs shy of the all-time second wicket record of 291 set by Marnus Labuschagne and Nick Selman, also against Sussex at Hove in 2019.

With the new ball ten overs away, the pair of left-handers resumed this morning against the medium pace of Dan Ibrahim and the leg-spin of Archie Lenham, with the latter being drilled through mid-on for the day’s first boundary. A single to extra cover saw Ingram complete his 150 from 228 balls before beating his previous best for Glamorgan - 155* against Nottinghamshire at Sophia Gardens, 2017 – by late cutting Ibrahim for four.

He celebrated by sweeping Lenham for four before Ibrahim found the edge of Byrom’s bat with the ball bisecting first slip and wicket-keeper, with Byrom cheekily nurdling the next delivery to the same location at third man, much to the annoyance of the bowler. The new ball was then taken after 80 overs as Jack Brooks returned to the attack, with the pair of southpaws immediately breaking the record second wicket stand as Ingram drilled the bowler through backward point.

The 300-stand came up, with another batting point, courtesy of a no ball by Brooks before Byrom on 126, had a life as Tim Seifert spilled an edge when Hunt returned to the fray. The pair continued to accumulate when the change bowlers, Ibrahim and Henry Crocombe, had a spell in tandem with Byrom pulling the former for four but it was the latter, with the total on 333, who ended the stand of 328 from 90 overs as Ingram drilled the young seamer into Tom Alsop’s hands at short mid-wicket.

Crocombe then bowled Sam Northeast with a yorker before Kiran Carlson survived the hat-trick ball, but next over he feathered a catch into Seifert’s gloves as Crocombe claimed his third victim in the space of seven balls for a cost of one run. 339-4 saw the arrival of Billy Root with Byrom shortly afterwards reaching his 150 from 279 balls, before surpassing his previous best score in first-class cricket – 152 in a domestic match in Zimbabwe – by leg-glancing Lenham for a single. But in the meantime, Root had departed l.b.w. to Hunt as James Weighell became Byrom’s new partner.



Day 4

 Close of play

When play resumed after tea, Glamorgan needed 141 in the remaining 43 overs with David Lloyd and Eddie Byrom facing the bowling of Jack Brooks and Sean Hunt. Lloyd unfurled a couple of booming cover drives, but in the fifth over Byrom departed as he miscued a drive against Brooks and was caught by Tom Haines at mid-off. It then became 8-2 as next over Colin Ingram departed l.b.w. to Hunt before the left-armer next over bowled Lloyd as Glamorgan slipped further to 9-3.

Kiran Carlson announced his arrival with a pair of sumptuous cover drives whilst Sam Northeast on-drove Haines. Carlson also square-drove Crocombe for four before Lenham’s leg-breaks were employed with Glamorgan still needing 100 runs to win. He nearly made an initial breakthrough but wicket-keeper Tim Seifert spilled the edge from Carlson’s bat.

With Haines switching ends, Carlson and Northeast continued to steadily accumulate as the 50 came up in the 21st over with Carlson cover-driving the visiting captain. Northeast then delicately late cut to the vacant ropes at third man before Carlson, with a more upright bat, wristily did the same against Lenham,

Northeast also lofted Lenham to the boards at mid-wicket before Carlson unfurled a rapier-like cover drive against Hunt, followed by a deft flick to the ropes at fine-leg as the task in the final hour became 59 from 16 overs. But in the first of these Lenham lured Carlson down the pitch and had the young tyro stumped for 45 as Billy Root joined Northeast.

Root began with a reverse-sweep for four against the spinner before Northeast brought up the hundred by swatting Brooks to fine-leg. Root then swept Delray Rawlins for four as the target became 34 from nine overs. Northeast responded by off-driving Brooks for four whilst Root swept Haines to the ropes at mid-wicket.

With 23 needed from 6.4 overs, Root leg-glanced Brooks and Tim Seifert took a smart diving catch, with his departure seeing Chris Cooke make his way to the middle with Lloyd as his runner. He began by pulling Lenham for four before cover-driving the next ball to the ropes. Later in the over Northeast repeated the stroke before straight-driving Brooks, before Cooke hit the winning runs by cover-driving Lenham for four as Glamorgan won by five wickets .


Teatime Update

Sussex had reached 183-5 at lunch and a lead of 65 runs with Delray Rawlins cover-driving the afternoon’s first delivery, from James Weighell, through extra-cover for four en route to completing his fifty from 73 balls. Michael Neser also had another salvo before Andy Gorvin entered the attack in tandem with Colin Ingram. Carter cover-drove Ingram but later in the over he miscued a sweep into Neser’s hands at short fine-leg.

220-6 immediately became 220-7 as Rawlins was bowled by a ball from Gorvin which scuttled through, before three balls later becoming 220-8 as Henry Crocombe departed l.b.w. to Gorvin. Archie Lenham and Jack Brooks offered stout defiance as Glamorgan took the new ball with the former swatting Neser for four through point. However, Neser then bowled Brooks as Lenham was joined by Sean Hunt. The teenager duly on-drove Gorvin for four but Neser ended the innings as Hunt spooned a catch to Byrom at short-leg.

Morning Update

“Cricket can be a very cruel game” – the words of former Gloucestershire batter Gilbert Jessop whose record 120 years ago of a 76-ball hundred in Test cricket for England was very nearly surpassed by Johnny Barstow’s brilliance yesterday against New Zealand at Trent Bridge. Tom Clark, the Sussex batter, could echo these words after he had agonisingly watched the ball spin back from his bat onto the stumps to the final delivery last evening as Sussex ended the third day still 29 runs in arrears after his youthful colleagues had persevered under sunny skies to restrict the Welsh county’s lead.

As a result, Oli Carter was joined by Tim Seifert when play resumed at 1100 this morning with Michael Neser and Andrew Salter. Carter punched Salter off the back foot through extra-cover, before flicking Neser to square-leg. Seifert also began with a flourish as he on-drove Neser but next over he was deceived in the flight by Salter and miscued a catch to Kiran Carlson at short mid-wicket.

107-4 saw Dan Ibrahim join Carter but his stay was a very brief one as after glancing Neser to fine-leg for four, he was trapped l.b.w. by the Australian. Delray Rawlins wiped off the arrears by sweeping and pulling Colin Ingram for three successive fours. Carter greeted the return of James Weighell to the attack by nurdling him to third man before Rawlins edged him over the head of first slip. Carter then completed his fifty from 110 balls before greeting the return of Andrew Salter to the attack by drilling him for four through extra cover.

Rawlins also on-drove Salter for four before Neser returned to the attack shortly before lunch.