25th June (4 days) 11:00 LV= Insurance County Championship Sophia Gardens, Cardiff
242 & 319
203 & 273-9
Match Drawn
Glamorgan v Sussex:LVCC


Glamorgan reduced Sussex to 243-9 on the final day of their LV=Insurance County Championship match at Cardiff but their final pair - Oli Carter and Henry Shipley - blocked out the remaining 21.2 overs as this enthralling game ended in a draw.
Day 1

Evening Report

Having reached 217-7 at tea, Glamorgan’s lower order were looking to move closer towards a batting point, especially with van der Gugten having straight-driven Carson in the final over before the interval at the River End. James Harris began with positive intent as he square-cut Henry Shipley before van der Gugten flicked the Kiwi to the fence at fine-leg. But, with the total on 233, Harris chipped a ball back to Carson, whilst four runs later, Swepson was bowled by McAndrew who then had Jamie McIlroy caught down the leg-side by the wicket-keeper as Glamorgan ended on 242.

Sussex had 22 overs to face as the two Tom’s - Messrs Clark and Haines - made their way to the middle with van der Gugten and McIlroy swiftly back in action with ball instead of the bat. Haines edged the Dutchman just short of Tom Bevan at third slip before on-driving the bowler to the ropes at mid-wicket. But next back he played back to van der Gugten and departed l.b.w. as Sussex lost their first wicket on 12.

Tom Alsop joined Clark who flicked McIlroy to fine-leg for four before drilling him to long-off for a second boundary in the over. He added another four in the left-handers next over as the ball sped to the ropes at fine-leg. Swepson then replaced van der Gugten at the River End with Harris operating at the Cathedral Road End and being flicked to square-leg by Alsop, before Clark cover-drove him for another boundary. Clark then nearly gloved Swepson to Northeast at slip before punching the spinner through the covers for four.

Afternoon Update

Glamorgan began the afternoon session on 85-4 with Kiran Carlson starting by guiding Nathan McAndrew through backward point for four followed by a scorching cover drive. Billy Root then pulled Henry Shipley for four as the 100 came up in the 29th over, but next over Carlson nibbled at a ball from McAndrew and was caught by the wicket-keeper. Chris Cooke began with a thick edge through the slips against the Australian before off-driving him four.

Root also threaded a pair of square-drives in front and behind point against Shipley before doing the same whilst facing McAndrew. Root then cover-drove Jack Carson when the spinner entered the fray at the River End before doing the same to Karvelas as he reached his fifty from 80 balls. But next over, Cooke was bowled as he played forward to Carson with Timm van der Gugten joining Root with the total on 160-6.

The Netherlands international began by swatting Shipley over the slips for four before Root flicked him to the ropes at square-leg. van der Gugten then hoiked successive balls from Shipley for four to mid-wicket and backward square-leg with Root playing another languid cover drive when McAndrew returned to the attack. But on 66 and his tram on 195, Root jaywalked down the wicket to Carson and was stumped by Carter as James Harris made his way to the middle shortly before the interval.

Morning Report

With Australia one-nil up in the Ashes series and Glamorgan having recruited Mitchell Swepson, a leg-spinner raised in Brisbane, there was an already an Antipodean feel to this round of Championship matches which, following the Strauss Review, recommended the use of Kookaburra balls for the first-ever time in county cricket for the next batch of county games.

Sussex began the game in second place in the Division Two table with Glamorgan in fifth spot. However, only ten points separates the two teams who are both unbeaten, like Surrey and Lancashire in Division One, having each been victorious in one of their seven matches. The Welsh county made three changes to their line-up from the team which drew against Durham at Chester-le-Street, with Tom Bevan replacing Colin Ingram, Jamie McIlroy coming in for Andy Gorvin and Mitchell Swepson playing instead of Prem Sisodiya.

After Kiran Carlson had won the toss, Andrew Salter and Zain ul Hassan opened the batting as Henry Shipley and Nathan McAndrew, another Antipodean combination, shared the new ball. After a trio of drives through the covers and square of the wicket, ul Hassan was trapped l.b.w by Shipley. 14-1 then became 18-2 as Bevan departed in identical fashion as the Kiwi struck again in his fourth over. Sam Northeast announced his arrival by straight-driving him for four, with Salter repeating the shot against McAndrew followed by a top-edged pull against the man from New South Wales.

Northeast also punched Shipley off the back foot through extra-cover before pulling the New Zealander for four. But he departed in McAndrew’s next over as he feathered a catch into Ollie Carter’s gloves with Carlson arriving in the middle with his team on 43-3. Salter brought up the fifty with a deft glide to third man against Fynn Hudson-Prentice before doing the same against Ari Karvelas. But in the twentieth over of the morning, the latter re-arranged Salter’s stumps as Glamorgan faltered again on 60-4.

Billy Root began by pulling Karvelas for four before steering him to the vacant ropes at third man. Shipley then returned to the attack shortly before lunch and saw Carlson edge a ball through the hands of Tom Clark at second slip before steering the Kiwi through backward point for four.




Day 2

Evening Update

Sussex began the final session on 195-7, still 47 runs behind Glamorgan, with James Harris and Mitchell Swepson resuming the bowling duties. A cover drive by Fynn Hudson-Prentice against Harris brought up the 200 but later in the over he flayed at a short ball and top-edged the ball to Swepson at backward point. Three balls later, it became 203-9 as Carson departed leg before to the leg-spinner before the innings ended next ball as Ari Karvelas feathered a ball from Swepson into Chris Cooke’s gloves giving Glamorgan a first innings lead of 39 runs.

Zain ul Hassan and Andrew Salter opened the batting, with the former cover-driving McAndrew for four before outside-edging him through the slips for a second four, followed two overs later by a pair of deft leg-glances for four. Salter also steered Shipley through point for four as well as nurdling Ari Karvelas for four to third man before Jack Carson’s off-spin was introduced at the River End.

Salter then straight-drove and cover-drove successive balls from Karvelas for four before ul Hassan safely guided a ball from Hudson-Prentice through backward point for another four.

Afternoon Report

Sussex had taken lunch on 120-5, still 122 runs in arrears, and when play resumed James Harris and Jamie McIlroy continued the bowling duties, with the latter making further inroads into the Sussex batting as with just a single having been added to the total, Oli Carter edged a ball into Chris Cooke’s gloves. Nathan McAndrew made his way to the middle and, after a phase of reconnaissance, he square-cut McIlroy for four. Fynn Hudson-Prentice also nurdled Zain ul Hassan behind square for another four as well as edging him to the vacant ropes at third man.

Mitchell Swepson then returned to the attack and removed McAndrew who tamely chipped a ball back to his fellow Australian. 142-7 saw Jack Carson’s arrival at the crease, followed by Hudson-Prentice cover-driving ul Hassan for four. Root then dropped a catch at short mid-wicket as Carson chipped up a ball from ul Hassan. He celebrated his good fortune by lofting Swepson for four followed by a punched drive to mid-wicket.

Hudson-Prentice then welcomed the return of Andrew Salter by sweeping the off-spinner for four with Carson also flicking Swepson to fine-leg for four. The new ball was taken after 80 overs with the visitors on 189-7 as van der Gugten and McIlroy returned to the attack. Hudson-Prentice completed his fifty from 99 balls shortly before the interval as he continued to chisel away at the deficit.

Morning Update

After events on the opening day, the visitors must have felt confident of maintaining their unbeaten record this summer in Championship cricket, with their Antipodean combination of Nathan McAndrew and Henry Shipley, plus Irishman Jack Carson, bowling with discipline and purpose to prevent the home batters from securing a batting point after opting to bat first. From a Glamorgan perspective, Mitchell Swepson had delivered an encouraging first spell of wrist spin before the close but when the visitors began, 177 runs in arrears this morning, they were facing the seam of Timm van der Gugten and the left-arm swing of Jamie McIlroy.

Both made an immediate impact as, with his fifth delivery of the morning, van der Gugten bowled Tom Alsop as he shouldered arms before Tom Clark was trapped l.b.w by McIlroy’s third delivery. After a series of maidens, the first run came in the sixth over as Oli Carter pushed McIlroy for two into the covers. Swepson then returned to the attack after three-quarters of an hour with James Harris also taking over at the Cathedral Road End. The latter struck with his first delivery as James Coles sparred at a ball outside off stump and gave a head-high catch to Tom Bevan at first slip.

75-4 saw Dan Ibrahim join Carter and he began with a fortuitous inside-edge for four to fine-leg. Carter swept Swepson for four before next over lofting him over long-off for six. But next over Sussex slipped to 95-5 as Ibrahim departed l.b.w. to Harris. Having been joined by Fynn Hudson-Prentice, Carter pulled Harris for four to mid-wicket. Shortly before lunch, van der Gugten return for another salvo in tandem with Zain ul Hassan.




Day 3

Evening Report

Glamorgan had reached 268-6 at tea with a lead of 307 and Sam Northeast unbeaten on 79 after a lofted four to long-on in the penultimate over before the break by Timm van der Gugten had taken the lead past the 300-mark. But the Netherlands international departed to the third ball of the session as he skewed a drive against James Coles into the hands of Henry Shipley at backward point.

James Harris joined Northeast as Shipley returned to the attack at the Cathedral Road End with the new batter flaying him through point for four. But later in the over, Harris miscued a drive to the fielder at short mid-wicket as Mitchell Swepson became Northeast’s new partner. But after some lusty blows he was trapped l.b.w. by McAndrew before Northeast struck Coles for a four and a six before completing his hundred from 191 balls by straight driving Coles for another six prior to being run out as Glamorgan were dismissed for 319 leaving Sussex with 113 overs in which to score 359 runs.

van der Gugten and McIlroy opened the bowling as the two Tom’s - Clark and Haines - looked to survive the remaining seventeen overs. Haines plundered a boundary against each bowler before Swepson entered the attack with eight overs remaining. Clark then flicked van der Gugten to square-leg before majestically cover-driving him but next over Tom Bevan made a superb low catch at slip as Haines edged Swepson with the visitors on 22-1 and night-watchman Ari Karvelas in the middle. With the light becoming gloomy, Salter also entered the attack before Sussex ended the day on 27-1.

Afternoon Report

Glamorgan began the post-lunch session on 110-2 with the uber-patient ul Hassan and Northeast looking to further consolidate on their team’s position and lead of 149 runs. But ul Hassan departed to the first ball after the interval as he attempted a pull against Jack Carson, was struck on the pads and departed l.b.w. three runs short of a well-deserved and maiden Championship fifty.

Kiran Carlson came in and upped the tempo by scurrying some quick singles before cover-driving Henry Shipley. Northeast also flicked Carson off his hips down to the vacant ropes at fine-leg for four before Carlson lofted him to backward square-leg as he continued to show positive intent. Northeast also guided Shipley through point, before Carlson reverse-swept Carson, prior to Northeast greeting the return of Karvelas to the attack by punching him off the back foot through the covers for an all-four.

Carlson then straight-drove Carson for a pair of sixes as the lead reached 200 before lofting Karvelas over long-on for another maximum. He then thwacked Karvelas square of the wicket for four before reverse-sweeping Tom Haines for four to complete a 46-ball fifty. He celebrated by lofting Haines over long-on for six but two balls later departed l.b.w. as his boundary-laden cameo abruptly ended.

Billy Root joined Northeast with his side on 195-4 and after bringing up the 200, the latter completed his half-century from a relatively sedate 104 balls compared with captain’s efforts. But as the lead steadily mounted ahead of the new ball possibly being taken, Northeast’s more measured contribution was just as valuable in putting the Welsh county into a dominant position.

Root harpooned Carson for six and four over and to the fence at mid-wicket but next over he was bowled by McAndrew as Chris Cooke joined Northeast ten overs before tea with Glamorgan ahead by 276 runs. Sussex opted against taking the new ball when it became available after 80 overs with Northeast edging McAndrew for four. The Aussie then trapped Cooke leg before with Timm van der Gugten announcing his arrival with a lusty on-drive for four against Carson.

Morning Update

The second day of this enthralling contest was the antithesis of so-called Bazball with just 184 runs being scored in the 96 overs as Glamorgan’s attack, supported by some spirited fielding, produced a parsimonious display and wrenched back the initiative from Sussex. By the close of play, the Welsh county’s makeshift opening pairing of Zain ul Hassan and Andrew Salter had extended the first innings lead to 85.

The pair were looking to continue the good work this morning as Henry Shipley and Ari Karvelas resumed the bowling duties. But the latter struck with his fourth delivery as Salter shouldered arms to the Greek international and had his stumps re-arranged. Tom Bevan announced his arrival with a booming off-drive for four before driving Shipley through the covers for another four as the lead reached three figures.

Bevan then hooked Shipley for four but next over he was bowled by Nathan McAndrew with the delivery scuttling through as Sam Northeast joined ul Hassan with Glamorgan on 70-2 as the tone of the morning mirrored yesterday’s miserly bowling performance by the home side. Northeast twice flicked McAndrew behind square for a pair of two’s, before Jack Carson’s off-spin was employed shortly before lunch in tandem with Fynn Hudson-Prentice




Day 4

Close of Play Report

When play resumed after tea, Glamorgan required a further three wickets and Sussex 153 more runs in the 33 overs which were remaining. Oli Carter began by sweeping Mitchell Swepson for four before pulling James Harris for another boundary. But, with the total on 221, Fynn Hudson-Prentice then had his middle stump uprooted by a superb full-length delivery from Harris. Carter was the beneficiary of four overthrows as he scarpered a single against Harris before nearly miscuing a pull to Root at mid-wicket. Jack Carson also survived a loud appeal for l.b.w. as McIlroy, supported by a gaggle of close fielders, rapped the Irishman on the pads.

Carson responded with successive fours through the covers against McIlroy before clipping Timm van der Gugten to fine-leg for another boundary. But, later in the over, he chipped a ball to square-leg where Root completed the catch as Sussex lost their ninth wicket on 243. Henry Shipley joined Carter as light drizzle started to fall with the new ball being taken after 80 overs. Shipley edged van der Gugten for four before flat-batting Swepson for four through the covers.

Carter then clipped van der Gugten to mid-wicket for four before nearly being caught at first slip with Zain ul Hassan unable to hold onto the ball above his head. Carter then square-cut Harris to complete his fifty from 113 balls before continuing to defend stoutly with Shipley also displaying a ramrod-straight bat. Van der Gugten returned for a final salvo at the Cathedral Road End with seven man in close catching positions but Shipley fended off each delivery and with Carter blocking out the final over from Swepson with eight fielders around the bat as the game ended in a draw.

Afternoon Update

Sussex were 71-2 when play began after lunch in brighter and drier conditions with Mitchell Swepson and James Harris bowling to the two Tom’s - Clark and Alsop - as Glamorgan pressed for further wickets. Harris duly struck with his fifth delivery as Alsop departed leg before as Nathan McAndrew joined Clark. The latter square-cut Harris for four before McAndrew who had been promoted up the order to counter-attack in the way Carlson had done so yesterday, pulled Swepson for four.

But the leg-spinner made further inroads as, after several loud appeals, he trapped Clark l.b.w. for 42 as James Coles made his way to the middle. McAndrew responded by pulling Harris to mid-wicket with Coles also clipping Swepson to the fence at deep backward square-leg before firmly on-driving him for a further boundary.

McAndrew continued his assault by pulling Harris for four before straight-driving Swepson. Jamie McIlroy then returned to the attack in tandem with Andrew Salter as the target became 229 in the remaining 50 overs. McAndrew drove Salter to long-on for four before firmly off-driving McIlroy but later in the over he attempted one expansive blow too many as he skied a catch to Carlson at wide long-on.

143-5 saw Oli Carter make his way to the middle as the cloud cover increased with the new batter pulling McIlroy for four before Coles swept Swepson for four. But next over he edged a drive against McIlroy with Chris Cooke, standing up to the stumps, completing a smart catch as Sussex slipped to 172-6. Dan Ibrahim came in with four men on the drive on the leg-side as drizzle started to fall again. Ibrahim on-drove McIlroy for four before cover-driving Swepson but, with the total on 184, he top-edged a sweep against the spinner and spooned a catch to ul Hassan at square-leg.

The sun started to re-appear as Fynn Hudson-Prentice became the new batter with Carter twice sweeping Swepson for four. Hudson-Prentice also on-drove Salter for four shortly before the interval.


Morning Report

The last time Sam Northeast scored a Championship hundred, it was followed by an outstanding and match-winning bowling performance with Australian-born cricketers to the fore as the two Michael’s - Neser and Hogan - tore through the Leicestershire batting at Grace Road to set up a comprehensive Glamorgan victory. The omens for a repeat performance looked good last night as Timm van der Gugten bowled another frugal new ball spell before Mitchell Swepson claimed an early wicket as Sussex, chasing a target of 359 to defeat the Welsh county, ended the third day on 27-1.

In the overcast and gloomy conditions, Swepson and Andrew Salter continued the bowling this morning as Tom Clark and Ari Karvelas resumed the batting duties with the latter lofting Swepson for four. But later in the over, the night-watcher perished trying to repeat the stroke as he holed out to van der Gugten at mid-on. Having been joined by Tom Alsop, Clark off-drove Swepson for four but the drizzle which had been falling then intensified and forced the players off the field after seven overs play.

After an hour’s delay, play resumed at 1220pm with fifteen overs being lost as van der Gugten returned to the attack. He was driven through mid-off by Clark from successive deliveries as Swepson continued to ply his trade at the River End. Alsop also punched van der Gugten through the covers before Clark cover-drove Swepson shortly before lunch