271 & 199
139 & 334-7
Glamorgan win by 3 wickets
Worcestershire v Glamorgan


An unbeaten 99 by Billy Root guided Glamorgan to a three-wicket shortly before lunch on the final day of their LV=Insurance County Championship match against Worcestershire at New Road with the Welsh county successfully chasing a target of 332 to complete the sixth highest run-chase in their history.


Day 1

Evening update
Worcestershire had recovered from 63-5 to 172-5 when rain brought an early tea in the 58th over with Ed Barnard and Gareth Roderick eager to continue their fightback as Andrew Salter and James Harris resumed the bowling at 1615 when the players returned to the field. After a series of singles, Roderick was bowled by Harris ending the sixth wicket stand which had added 120 in 39.4 overs.

Having been joined by Joe Leach, Barnard punched Harris off the back foot through extra-cover before his new partner on-drove Harris for four followed by another drive through backward point. But with the total on 206, Leach edged Hogan to Salter at backward point as Josh Baker made his way to the middle and cover drove Hogan for four. But Harris returned at the Diglis End and found the edge of Baker’s bat as Cullen completed another regulation catch.

With Charlie Morris at the other end, Barnard completed his century by reverse-sweeping Salter for four – his 151st delivery and 11th boundary – before pulling a short ball from Harris for four through mid-wicket followed by a scoop over fine-leg for 6. Neser and Hogan duly returned to the attack after the new ball was taken in the 81st over.

Morris nonchalantly flicked Neser to the boards at square-leg before Barnard opened his shoulders to plonk the Australian over long-on for six. But the bowler made the perfect riposte as he yorked him next ball before two balls later ending the innings on 271 as Morris gave Cullen his fifth catch of the innings as Morris sparred at another rising delivery.

Glamorgan had nine overs to face with Lloyd pulling the first ball from Leach for four, but he then edged the third delivery into Ed Pollock’s hands at first slip. Harris duly came in at number three and flicked and nurdled the next two balls to fine-leg and third man for successive fours. His quixotic innings ended through in Leach’s second over as he edged the seamer to Barnard at third slip.

Colin Ingram then edged Leach for four to third man before departing l.b.w to the buoyant all-rounder as Worcestershire grabbed their first bowling point after three overs. 18-3 saw Sam Northeast join Eddie Byrom who opened his account by square-driving Pennington with the new batter also surviving a sharp chance in the slips before on-driving Pennington for four.

Afternoon Update

Worcestershire resumed on 84-5 after lunch with Gareth Roderick pulling Michael Hogan for four for the afternoon’s first boundary. Ed Barnard also clipped James Harris to the ropes at mid-wicket before Roderick repeated the stroke. Barnard also unfurled an elegant cover-drive against Harris as the 50-stand came up. Roderick also pulled Harris for four before Andrew Salter entered the attack at the New Road End and was edged for four to fine-leg by Barnard.

The latter then on-drove Hogan for four when the evergreen seamer returned at the Diglis End for another short salvo. Barnard then completed his fifty from 92 balls followed by a rasping cover drive against Lloyd when he replaced Hogan. Roderick then chipped Salter just over the head of short mid-wicket before Roderick cover-drove the spinner as rainclouds gathered at the Diglis End. Barnard also edged Lloyd just short of Cullen’s gloves but the drizzle then intensified as the players left the field for an early tea at 15.30pm.

Lunchtime Report

It’s been a run-laden time since Glamorgan were last in red-ball action with the England 50-over team coming within two runs of being the first to post 500 in a One-Day International. There was also a run-fest in the Welsh county’s T20 game with Middlesex at Sophia Gardens with David Lloyd and Sam Northeast sharing a record stand of 150. The two protagonists were at New Road this morning ahead of the return to the more orthodox format of Championship cricket as third-placed Glamorgan met fifth-placed Worcestershire, but thoughts of further run sprees this morning were swiftly dispelled as the Welsh county, opting to bowl first on a green-tinged surface, made inroads with the ball during the opening session.

With Chris Cooke still recovering from a calf strain sustained during the victory over Sussex, his deputy Tom Cullen was keeping wicket whilst James Harris replaced James Weighell from the victorious team that defeated the South Coast outfit. The two Michael’s – Neser and Hogan – shared the new ball with Neser making the perfect start as he uprooted Ed Pollock’s middle stump with the opening delivery before Jake Libby was caught behind by Cullen as the opener edged Hogan’s seventh ball.

Azhar Ali flicked Neser to mid-wicket before Taylor Cornall on-drove Hogan for four. The latter was also struck on the helmet by Neser and after lengthy treatment and assessment, the batter continued his innings. Azhar also greeted the introduction of Harris into the attack by punching him off the back foot through backward point before nearly being run out at the bowler’s end as he completed a risky third run. Cornall clipped Harris through mid-wicket for four before Azhar, on 21, edged a ball from David Lloyd who had entered the fray at the Diglis End, to second slip where Northeast could not quite complete a juggling catch.

It did not prove however to be a costly miss as in Lloyd’s next over Azhar feathered a catch down the leg-side with Cullen pouching the ball. 48-3 saw the arrival of home captain Brett D’Oliveira to join Cornall who slashed Lloyd through point for four. But with the total on 57, D’Oliveira departed l.b.w. to a full length delivery from Harris. Six runs later Cullen completed another outstanding catch as he dived full length down the legside to snaffle a glance by Cornall against Lloyd. Ed Barnard announced his arrival with a trio of cover-drives before Gareth Roderick flicked Hogan to the ropes at mid-wicket.




Day 2

Evening Report

Worcestershire had reached 51-1 at tea, and an overall lead of 183, with Azhar Ali and Jake Libby looking to further manouevre their team into a dominant position by the close of play. Azhar duly struck the first boundary of the session as he ferociously square-cut David Lloyd who was operating at the New Road End with Michael Neser at the Diglis End.

Michael Hogan and James Harris then had a spell in tandem with the former being cover-driven and on-driven by Libby. But the evergreen Australian ended Azhar’s stay at the crease as he edged a ball into Tom Cullen’s gloves. 92-2 saw Tom Fell arrive in the middle as Libby continued his steady accumulation, with the opener late-cutting Andrew Salter for four to see Worcestershire into three figures as the off-spinner also had a spell at the New Road End.

Fell also on-drove Hogan for four but with the total on 115, Libby departed l.b.w. to Harris with Brett D’Oliveira joining Fell. But it was a brief partnership as the latter departed with the total on 128 as he feathered a rising delivery into Cullen’s gloves. Next over, Neser struck again as D’Oliveira edged to Northeast at second slip. 133-5 then became 134-6 as Neser bowled Ed Barnard with another full length delivery.

Teatime Update

Glamorgan resumed after lunch on 114-8 with Andrew Salter square-driving Charlie Morris for four before Eddie Byrom did the same to complete a 112-ball fifty. Salter then swatted consecutive balls from Morris for four but Ed Barnard returned to the fray and, with the total on 139, he removed Salter, courtesy of a good catch low down at second slip by Tom Fell. Next over, the innings ended as Byrom miscued a drive to mid-on.

Michael Hogan, who yesterday claimed his 900th wicket in all forms of cricket, soon added to his impressive tally as he removed Ed Pollock with his fourth ball, thanks to another fine catch at first slip by a jubilant David Lloyd. Azhar Ali was quickly into his stride as he glanced Neser to the ropes at fine-leg before on-driving him for a second boundary. The Pakistani also twice flicked Hogan to long-leg for a pair of fours.

After some quiet reconnaissance, Jake Libby greeted the introduction of James Harris into the attack by clipping him to square-leg for four, with Azhar Ali also cover-driving David Lloyd’s first delivery when he entered the fray at the New Road End.

Lunchtime update

Thirteen wickets fell on the opening day of this enthralling contest, with five tumbling before lunch and eight after tea, but none in the middle session as Ed Barnard and Gareth Roderick shared a century stand to show that crease occupation was possible on the green-tinged surface after David Lloyd had, once again, opted to bowl first.

Early morning rain delayed the start until 1130, whilst Tom Fell became a concussion replacement for Taylor Cornall who had been struck on the helmet yesterday by Michael Neser. Eddie Byrom struck the days first boundary as he straight drove Charlie Morris for four, but Joe Leach struck with his fourth delivery as he bowled Sam Northeast.

38-4 immediately became 38-5 as Kiran Carlson edged to third slip before Byrom off-drove Leach for another four. He added a handsome square-drive to his tally before Dillon Pennington entered the attack at the Diglis End. By this time, Billy Root had begun with a brace of singles but with the total on 61, he edged Morris into Roderick’s gloves. Having been joined by Tom Cullen, Byrom glanced Pennington to fine-leg followed later in the over by a well-timed cover drive plus a flick to mid-wicket.

On 34 however Byrom had a life as Ed Pollock, at first slip, dropped an outside edge. Cullen then greeted the return of Leach to the attack by square-cutting him for four. He then square-drove Barnard before flicking him to fine-leg to bring up the hundred, but four runs later he edged Leach to Pollock at slip who atoned for earlier error. Michael Neser then flicked Leach for four to square-leg before having his stumps re-arranged as he shouldered arms to Barnard.




Day 3

Close of Play Report

Glamorgan had reached 117-3 at tea, with Colin Ingram completing his fifty in the opening over of the session as he thick-edged a delivery from Ed Barnard to the vacant ropes at third man. He celebrated by drilling Dillon Pennington over the head of extra-cover for four but next over the bowler removed Kiran Carlson who edged a brute of a rising delivery into Gareth Roderick’s gloves.

With Billy Root as his new partner, Ingram again cover-drove Pennington before flicking Barnard to the ropes at fine-leg when he switched to the Diglis End. Root also found the boundary boards but in an involuntary way as he edged a drive when Josh Baker returned at the New Road End. He also miscued a lofted drive against Baker just out of the reach of Brett D’Oliveira as he scampered back at mid-off.

Despite the gloomy and overcast conditions, Ingram unfurled another coruscating cover drive against Leach before Root reverse-swept Brett D’Oliveira for a pair of fours when the home captain had an over. Ingram then cover-drove Baker for four when the left-arm spinner returned at the New Road with the seamers rotating in a series of short spells at the Diglis End in a bid to dislodge the fifth wicket pair.

However, the two southpaws remained resolute with Root off-driving Barnard for four as they continued to chisel away at the target. Ingram duly reached his patient century by sweeping Baker for four – his 13th boundary and 197th delivery. With the light having improved, Pennington returned at the New Road End and was flicked to backward square-leg by Root. With three and a half overs remaining, it was Barnard who ended the stand as he trapped Ingram leg before with a delivery which kept a fraction low.

Glamorgan ended the day on 232-5 and with the new ball immediately available tomorrow morning, and 100 runs still needed, there is the prospect of an enthralling, and potentially nerve-jangling conclusion to this contest

Teatime Report

Glamorgan were 36-1 when play resumed after lunch with Ed Barnard and Dillon Pennington continuing the bowling duties. Colin Ingram began by straight-driving Barnard for four before Eddie Byrom pulled a short ball from Dillon Pennington for six. Ingram then greeted the return of Joe Leach into the attack by square-driving him for four before straight-driving Josh Baker when the left-arm spinner also had a trundle at the New Road End.

With the total on 78 it was Baker who broke through as Byrom top-edged a reverse-sweep with Barnard completing the catch as Sam Northeast became Ingram’s new partner. The latter had a moment of good fortune as he inside-edged Leach for four before Northeast opened his account by cover-driving and on-driving Leach to the ropes. Ingram also swept Baker for four to bring up the hundred but nine runs later Northeast was caught by Pennington at third man as he attempted to upper cut Morris

Morning update

A spell of 3-2 in 19 balls by Michael Neser during the final session yesterday helped Glamorgan stifle Worcestershire’s ambitions of a sizeable lead, but despite Neser’s efforts the Pears were still 279 runs ahead with four wickets remaining when play resumed this morning at 1110 after a short delay because of bad light. Neser struck in his second over of the day as Gareth Roderick edged to third slip where, at the second attempt, Colin Ingram pouched the ball.

With Joe Leach as his new partner, Charlie Morris inside-edged Michael Hogan for four before unfurling a booming cover-drive for four against Neser. But next over, Hogan found the edge of Leach’s bat as Tom Cullen completed his eighth catch of the game – one short of the Club record held jointly by Mark Wallace and Colin Metson. Josh Baker took the lead past the 300-mark as he cover drove Hogan for four before finding the ropes again as he on-drove Neser followed by a pair of booming off-drives when David Lloyd entered the attack at the New Road End.

However, their little spree ended when Andrew Salter replaced Lloyd as the off-spinner re-arranged Morris’ stumps with his third delivery. He then ended the innings with his next ball as Dillon Pennington drove it back into his hands as Worcestershire’s second innings ended on 199, leaving Glamorgan with a target of 332 in the remaining 176 overs.

Lloyd had an early life as Baker at fourth slip dropped a head high chance as Leach found the edge of the visiting captain’s bat, with Eddie Byrom also opening his account with an outside edge through the gully against Morris. However, the next boundaries came in front of the wicket as Lloyd clipped Leach through mid-wicket, before on-driving the all-rounder through mid-on. But with the total on 21 Lloyd drove Morris into the hands of Brett D’Oliveira at mid-off.

Colin Ingram joined Byrom and saw Glamorgan through to lunch without any further alarms besides square-cutting Dillon Pennington when he appeared at the Diglis End.




Day 4

Close of Play Report

It was at the New Road ground in 1993 where Glamorgan completed a thrilling run chase against Worcestershire with the Welsh county’s last-wicket pairing of Darren Thomas and Roland Lefebvre seeing their side to a nail-biting one-wicket victory with the former hitting the winning runs as they successfully chased a target of 331.

Twenty-nine years later, their target was one run more when play began this morning with Glamorgan on 232-5 and requiring a further hundred runs. Worcestershire may however have held the trump card as the new ball was immediately available and, given the way that it had behaved in the three previous innings, the home supporters were hoping that their bowlers could claim the five remaining wickets to keep alive their county’s hopes of a return to Division One.

Joe Leach and Charlie Morris shared the new ball with Billy Root cover-driving the former to complete a 99-ball fifty. He repeated the stroke later in the over before doing the same to Morris, but with the total on 255, James Harris edged a drive against Leach with Gareth Roderick completing a regulation catch.

Tom Cullen joined Root and began with a steer through backward point before firmly on-driving Leach for four. Root continued to scamper one’s and two’s as he quietly worked the ball around with Cullen also scything Dillon Pennington through extra-cover for four. Josh Baker then entered the attack as Root unfurled a series of orthodox and reverse sweeps against the left-arm spinner.

Root then straight drove Baker for four before Leach returned to the attack at the Diglis End and removed Cullen thanks to a smart one-handed catch, low to his right by Tom Fell at second slip. 293-7 saw the arrival of Michael Neser who survived a sharp caught and bowled chance when Barnard also returned to the fray. He celebrated his good fortune by cover-driving the next ball for four followed by another on-drive plus a pair of coruscating pulls for four in Barnard’s next over.

Root then cover-drove successive balls from Morris for four before Neser ended the game by off-driving Pennington for four as Glamorgan secured their fourth win of the season and their fourth successful run-chase of the summer, as well as the sixth highest run-chase in the Club's history with Root unbeaten on 99 as Glmaorgan maintained their promotion quest into Division One.